• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vintage Case Advice Needed


Active member
Jan 27, 2002
[Mods - please bump me to another section if inappropriate here ]

A long time ago, the LPF used to have a four letter acronym for vintage case experts, which I will not repeat here, out of respect for inclusion and diversity ;-) ... but if you are an expert on vintage cases, I am looking for your constructive and non-disparaging advice on what to do with this case, that came with a 1955 Les Paul TV Special that we discussed here recently. My questions to you are:
- what exactly is it?
- how can I prevent further deterioration?
- is there a case restorer equivalent to a Greg whom I can hire to prevent further deterioration or make repairs?

I have to tell you that I have taken great pleasure in the past, walking into vintage guitar shows with this case, and being mobbed by questions of "what's in the case, dude?", to which I would respond: "Oh, just an old guitar that I found in Uncle Willie's attic...". If only I could capture the moldy smell and bottle it, I would get a booth at Arlington and get rich. ;-). But seriously, what do I have, and how can I do justice to it?

Case 1.jpg
Case 2.jpg
Case 3.jpg
Case 4.jpg Case 5.jpg
Case 6.jpg
Case 7.jpg
Case 8.jpg
Case 9.jpg
Case 10.jpg

ZZ Not

Jul 15, 2001
I am a little bit of a case nut (some would say just a nutcase) but I have found a lot of good info via the Facebook group Vintage Musical Instrument Cases. You may want to give them a shout.


Active member
May 11, 2002
I can steer you to the "vintage cases" sticky post at the top of this forum- That's a "four-latch" 50's LP case, quite correct for your special. Unless you want more extensive restoration, I find thick superglue carefully applied within the cracked seams can do wonders with these to structurally stabilize them-