• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and recently moved to a new hosting platform. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE HAVE MOVED THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER! Let us know how things are going! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

How often do you replcae your mattress?

plaintop

Active member
Joined
Jul 15, 2001
Messages
9,591
My hip started having chronic pain. Turned out my mattress was “bad.” $750 later, I have a new mattress and box spring. I guess they wear out? I heard you should replace it every 3-5 years. Does anyone do this?
 

Tim

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 15, 2001
Messages
1,862
I sometimes have that pain and for me it's caused by sleeping on my side with my knees together. That really pulls your hip out of socket. Try sleeping on your back or sticking a thick pillow between your knees. Girls work well also.
 

Johnnytone

Les Paul Forum Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2001
Messages
3,648
Tim said:
I sometimes have that pain and for me it's caused by sleeping on my side with my knees together. That really pulls your hip out of socket. Try sleeping on your back or sticking a thick pillow between your knees. Girls work well also.

Yes, try sticking a girl between your knees and the pain will instantly go away:lol2
 

plaintop

Active member
Joined
Jul 15, 2001
Messages
9,591
I think sleeping with women was the reason the mattress wore out in the first place. :eek

Can you still say that here? :wow
 

doodman

Active member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
5,635
I am 32 years old and have problems with 2 spots in my back. I rotate my bed about every 6 months. I have been doing this for the last 10 years with the same mattress. It still feels good and my back still feels bad. I am one of those that has a MAJOR problem sleeping. I have spent money on mattresses and pillows and still don't sleep. I think my problem is that I like to sleep on my side. Then my front. Then my other side. Then my back. Then my front. You get the idea. I think it is a chicken and egg thing. Did I get a bad back from sleeping wrong or do I sleep bad because of my bad back?

You should rotate your bed regularly, though. I have heard that means everything between quarterly to yearly.
 

plaintop

Active member
Joined
Jul 15, 2001
Messages
9,591
I'd say your mattress is too old. 10 years seems to be over the limit. I got a Beauty Rest mattress that you don't flip. It's nice and firm too. I'm sleeping like a baby and I feel totally refreshed when I wake. I'm also dreaming more for some reason.
 

doodman

Active member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
5,635
plaintop59 said:
I'd say your mattress is too old. 10 years seems to be over the limit. I got a Beauty Rest mattress that you don't flip. It's nice and firm too. I'm sleeping like a baby and I feel totally refreshed when I wake. I'm also dreaming more for some reason.

I had problems before and since I bought it. And it doesn't have a lump or valley in it. Maybe because it is a king? For whatever reason, it feels great all the way out to the edge. I really can't believe it is still this comfortable. I actually went out a couple of years back, when my back was acting up, and looked at some of the high dollar mattresses. I couldn't believe that they felt similar to the way mine still does. I couldn't justify a new one for that reason. My girlfriend agrees (keep it to yourself!) that it is still in great shape. I am not being cheap, just realistic. I can't believe what good shape it is still in.
 

Buffaloe

All Access/Backstage Pass
Joined
Jul 15, 2001
Messages
4,431
My wife and I have a Select Comfort. Basically an air bed, but you can adjust the firmness individually for either side. A little pricey, but really a great bed, and she nevers complains about me rolling over and disturbing her anymore. (Well sometimes, but in a different kind of way.)
 

plaintop

Active member
Joined
Jul 15, 2001
Messages
9,591
doodman said:
I had problems before and since I bought it. And it doesn't have a lump or valley in it. Maybe because it is a king? For whatever reason, it feels great all the way out to the edge. I really can't believe it is still this comfortable. I actually went out a couple of years back, when my back was acting up, and looked at some of the high dollar mattresses. I couldn't believe that they felt similar to the way mine still does. I couldn't justify a new one for that reason. My girlfriend agrees (keep it to yourself!) that it is still in great shape. I am not being cheap, just realistic. I can't believe what good shape it is still in.

My mattress was like new. Not even a pee stain! :lolspin

It still was shot. I think they breakdown on the inside.
 
Last edited:

FROGGY

It's not easy being green.
Joined
Oct 28, 2002
Messages
2,597
Air mattress-the only way to go.I've had back problems for many years.My mattress is adjustable,just the right amount of give and support.Also will probably outlast anything else you could buy.
 

professor

New member
Joined
Jul 22, 2001
Messages
4,889
Tim said:
I sometimes have that pain and for me it's caused by sleeping on my side with my knees together. That really pulls your hip out of socket. Try sleeping on your back or sticking a thick pillow between your knees. Girls work well also.
The pillow between the knees works VERY well.

( Been married long enough that my "other" options are somewhat limited... ;) )
 

Bluburst135

Les Paul Forum Member
Joined
May 29, 2003
Messages
2,189
Tonebutcher said:
... and she nevers complains about me rolling over and disturbing her anymore. (Well sometimes, but in a different kind of way.)

you beast...........:lol
 
Top